Was formed by combining a United Brethern congregation with other groups. The church building was located in the southwest corner of Section 11, four miles northeast of Panola. John Brewer built his home in 1836 in what is now Shuck's Grove, and the Brewer School, located on his farm, was the meeting place for the United Brethern group before the church was built. Two other smaller "classes" also used the school for worship at various times. The three groups combined forces in 1868 and erected a small parsonage two miles east of the school, but continued services in the schoolhouse.
During this same period the Methodists of the area were holding services in the Douglas School two miles north, and in the Hill Grove School, two miles further east.
Pictured at left, probably held the earliest organized church services in our community, as they were meeting on a more or less regular schedule in the Mohr settlement northwest of El Paso in the early 1850's. Reverend Hoffman was the pastor, and all of the meetings were held in private homes. In 1864, when the Reverend Shoemaker was pastor, the congregation decided to build a church in El Paso. George L. Gibson gave them a lot on the northwest corner of Second and Pine Streets where the P. J. Roth home stands and they purchased another lot next west of it for $100.
The church at first held its meetings in the Kappa depot, where ten persons organized a "class" in 1855, earliest in any of the new towns. Members of the Evangelical Church also worshiped with these Methodists, and an agreement was finally reached in preparation for building a church which contained the statement: "The Methodist Episcopal Church is to be held in trust by a board of trustees from the M. E. Church and the Evangelical Church, with a majority of one of the trustees to be from the Methodist Church; the building to be used by itinerant ministers of both conferences on alternate Sundays." The first trustees were William Whitmer, James Jaynes, Conrad Waugh, Emanuel Paul, E. M. Dixon and William North. James and John C. Jaynes, Emanuel Paul, Charles Bingner and William North served as the building committee. Thomas Dorsey and his son did the masonry and John Miller of Hudson built the church. Caleb Horn finished the basement and built the fence to enclose the lot. The church was finished in 1874 at a cost of $2,400 including stoves, furniture and fence. It never had a resident minister, being served by pastors located in El Paso, Gridley and Hudson. The Evangelicals withdrew in 1922-23 and the Methodists continued until the church burned July 4, 1941. It was thought sparks from a Roman candle of some celebrating youngsters caused the fire.
Were holding community worship in a schoolhouse in and near Kappa in the late 1850's under the leadership of Philip Pfleeger, Sr. Pastors from Bloomington usually did the preaching. About 1860 the group came to El Paso and during the next three years held services at Strathman's or Crawford's Hall, or in the west side schoolhouse. On May 8, 1863 the congregation was organized with fourteen men serving as voting members, naming it St. Paul's.
Was built about 1866, but the congregation had been organized in 1857. W. A. Nelson was ordained there June 8, 1889. After 1900 the congregation steadily diminished and the building was sold to R. L. Beshers in 1912. He dismantled it and the lumber was used in building his El Paso canning plants.
Ministers preached on alternate Sundays in Panola and Kappa, beginning with the Reverend Frost in 1856. In March of 1857 he held the first Presbyterian worship service in El Paso in a passenger car temporarily located on the east Y. During the three months he worked here he organized a union Sunday school with James North as superintendent that continued for some years.
There were only a dozen houses in El Paso when a small group met on May 11, 1857 in a carpenter shop on East Front Street and sat on nail kegs in lieu of chairs.
The church disbanded in 1937 and became part of The Federated Church.
Was organized on January 21, 1858, when the following persons met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Crawford located where Miss Olive Engle now lives: Reverend and Mrs. William Branch, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis B. McOmber, Anthony and Sarah Daffern, Harriett McOmber, James Hewitt, Elizabeth McClellan and Henry H. Hewitt. Mr. Hewitt's letter from his previous church had not been received, but he was accepted as a charter member on the group's knowledge of him. Israel D. McOmber who was critically ill and died within ten days, was not present but was accepted as a charter member as were Alice and Deborah Whittaker. L. B. McOmber and A. Daffern were the first deacons; H. H. Hewitt was the first clerk
The group first held services in various homes, with members being admitted. The church record states for December 1858 that "Brethern John and Henry North and wives were received on experience, the church at Kappa, with which they were connected, having disbanded." The February 12, 1859 record reads: "It was voted to receive the communion service used by the Kappa church if it can be donated without reservation." These are the only records we find of a Baptist Church having been organized at Kappa.
Organized in 1859 and at once built a small church building. It was the first one erected in El Paso. However, the membership did not increase and the organization disbanded. The building passed to the Evangelical United Brethern group in 1872.
The second church building on this site was the first bilding purchased by Harvest Fellowship.
Was organized July 3, 1864 by Uncle Jimmy Robeson and Elder John Lindsey with forty charter members. The meeting was held in the schoolhouse. When the group could secure a minister, they held worship services in Strathman's Hall for a year or more ; they were then able to erect a small church on Elm Street, the second building south of Second Street in 1865. They built an addition in 1877 which doubled its capacity, but services were held irregularly until 1881, when they were discontinued.
In December, 1886 E. J. Lampton reorganized the congregation and held a protracted meeting which added twenty-eight to the thirty-four members who reported at the reorganization session. J. E. Jewett preached for the group the next year, and J. D. Dabney, the first regular pastor, came in August, 1888. During his four years ministry the membership increased by fifty-one; C. S. Medbury became pastor January 1, 1893 and added another hundred members to make the church one of the largest in El Paso.
At one point The Christian Church occupied the former Harvest Fellowship building but have since disbanded.
Had its beginning in 1857 when it was listed as one of the seven appointments in the El Paso Circuit, which included El Paso, Panola, Chenoa, Willow Tree School, Bunch Grove School, Potter's School and Secor. Though it was a large circuit, going almost to Roanoke, there was no church edifice, so the first quarterly conference was held in the freight house in Panola on November 6 and 7, 1857. Zadock Hall, pioneer Methodist minister, presided; R. Smithson was the preacher in charge and Franklin R. Tobias the local preacher.
Had a congregation in El Paso long before their church was built. Sometime in 1860 the Reverend Samuel Chase, D. D., an Episcopal clergyman, stopped in El Paso between trains, and during his brief visit baptized a baby of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Hazlett who lived in or near the old depot. One source says this occurred in 1856, and this may be correct, since the William Ostler diary states that Ben Hazlett ran El Paso's first restaurant in 1855, which would make him El Paso's first resident. A child of William M. Jenkins was baptized in the Episcopal faith in August, 1861, and in July, 1865 the Reverend Chamberlayn held Episcopal services in the Presbyterian church building as he was returning from Civil War service.
The church has since disbanded.
Organized in 1863 as the parish of St. Mary's by the Reverend Patrick Terry of St. Columbia's of Ottawa.
The Reverend Francis Keenan came to El Paso in November, 1864 and soon thereafter began building a frame church at the corner of Central and West Third, completed in 1865. Wings were added to the building in 1872 which increased its seating capacity to about 500. The church was frescoed and new furnishings added by the Reverend Thomas S. Keating in 1874-80 bringing the total cost to $4,500. A house belonging to a Mr. McAlden was moved to the site of the present church and converted into a parochial school during Reverend Keating's service, and he taught classes there and in outlying parts of his parish, which included Minonk until 1878.
The first Roman Catholic Church building stood at Central and Third Streets. In this building, pictured at left, on May 12, 1895 Bishop Fulton J. Sheen was baptized.
Organized in early 1872, from among the English-speaking Evangelicals of the community, and they purchased the former Congregational church building on March 19 that year. It was the first church building erected in El Paso, and was located on Second Street north of Jefferson Park.
This property is the former location of Harvest Fellowship.
Held services in various homes in the community on Thursday afternoons and Sunday mornings for a few years in the 1880's and 1890's. However, their numbers were small and no church was organized or built.
Congregation was organized in 1935 and in the following spring built their frame church on a lot on South Elm Street. Most of the work was done by members. The Reverend Mr. Rediger of Morton dedicated the church in June, 1936, assisted by the Reverend and Mrs. George Ade who had been leaders in the organization. There were about forty charter members, but many have moved away and services are no longer held.
Organized June 30, 1935 by the Reverend Bertha Humble, a state missionary organizer. Services during that year were held in St. Paul's German Evangelical Lutheran building, Mrs. Raymond Peters being the first pastor. In 1940 their new church was completed at West Main and Walnut. It is of frame construction, covered with asbestos shingles. C. W. Toler, George Griffith and Samuel Walters were the first trustees. In 1946 the Reverend Russell Hayse and his wife went from this church to South Africa as missionaries, their second son being born there. They have been in the United States for a year, but are returning to Africa to resume their teaching as missionaries.
The church has since disbanded and the building now houses the youth gatherings of Community Bible Fellowship
Was organized from a combination of the Presbyterian and Christian Churches, the outgrowth of plans discussed at meetings of the two groups held October 29 and November 7, 1937. The two groups voted to make the plan permanent on March 9, 1938, and the Federated Church outlined its program of activity. Certain dissatisfaction developed, and on February 5, 1939, part of the former members of the Christian Church withdrew from the new organization and resumed services in their former church building.
Was granted to conduct services under the Missouri Synod in May, 1947. The congregation organized December 7, 1947 with thirty-five communicant members and a total membership of fifty-eight. The Reverend Walter E. Lichtsinn of Wenona and various students from Concordia Seminary conducted the services the first year, using the building of the St. Andrew's Episcopal Church with Sunday School rooms over the Woodford County National Bank.
Located at 135 E Second Street on the north side of Franklin Park. It was the first church to be organized in El Paso but was not the first to erect a house of worship. It was torn down and in 1903 and a brick and stone building was erected at the same location, 135 E. Second Street. The congregation later took the name of United Church of Christ. On December 21, 1986, the brick and stone building burned, and a one-story brick building was built at the same location.
The congregation of Good Shepherd has since disbanded. The building is now the home of Harvest Fellowship.
Community Bible Fellowship stems from humble beginnings over twenty five years ago, when six local families began meeting in homes together with Pastor Wes Ooms and his young family from Texas. The Ooms family had migrated to central Illinois, specifically to East White Oak church in rural Carlock, with the express intent of planting a church. East White Oak Bible Church acted as our “mother church” for the first years of our existence until we were able to support the church and our Pastor financially.
From its early beginnings in January 1990, God has been very generous in providing CBF a place to worship, in growing our ministries, and in supplying financial sustenance.
Began to grow in July of 1999 at the Secor, IL home of Tom and Gladys Carr. The first services were held under a grand oak tree in their yard on Saturday nights. Rather quickly, it became apparent that God was gathering a group of believers to start a church that would minister to the needs of the El Paso area community. As the congregation grew, they moved to the old El Paso City Hall building and began to host services as they made plans for a building to house the congregation permanently.
Harvest Fellowship was part of a church plant movement initiative of The Illinois District of The Assemblies of God in 1990 called "The Decade of Harvest." Then called Harvest Chapel, Harvest was the first group of this movement to be established. The name was later changed to Harvest Family Fellowship and recently to Harvest Fellowship. Harvest purchased this location in 1996. It was previously the El Paso Christian Church and prior to that Emanuel Evangelical United Brethren. Historically, The Congregational Church organized in 1859 built the first church building in El Paso on this site. It was later raised and the current building was built in 1927 by Emanuel Evangelical United Brethren. With the history of this property and intentions of this movement, it is our mission to uncap those ancient wells... We have made another stride in uncapping these ancient wells with the purchase of the church building located at 135 E. Second St. This is where the first incorporated church in El Paso built. Harvest started on the location of the first church building in town and is now on the property that belonged to the first incorporated church in El Paso. It has become somewhat of a coming together of two firsts.
Copyright © 2021 Harvest Fellowship - All Rights Reserved.